People's Democratic Republic of Algeria
الجمهورية الجزائرية الديمقراطية الشعبية transliterated as al-Jumhuriyatu al-jaza'iriya ad-dimuqratiya ash-sha'abiya
Forma de Estado:
Sistema de Gobierno:
- Founding date/ Date of independence: 1962
- Date of constitution/latest reform: 1996, revised in 2002, 2008 and most recently on 7th March 2016
- Form of state: Centralised
- Administrative divisions: 48 provinces or wilayas
- Official language(s): Arabic
- Other spoken languages: Tamazigh or Berber (deemed a national but not an official language) and French
- Official Religion: Sunni Islam
- Minorities: Christian, Jewish and Ibadi (Muslim minority)
- Dominant actor(s): Army and Secret Services
- Elected institutions of government: Presidency, Bi-cameral parliament, Local and Provincial councils
- Non-elected institutions of government: Provincial governors (walis)
- Party system: multi-party system, with 3 clear blocks: nationalists, islamists and leftist parties
- Head of state: Abdelaziz Bouteflika, since 1999, reelected on April 17th 2014 for a fourth term. He resigned on April 3rd 2019. On April 9th, Abdelkader Bensalah, chair of the Council of the Nation was dessignated as provisional president for a maximum period of 90 days (July 9th).
- Head of government: Noureddine Bedoui replaces Ahmed Ouyahia, as a result of February-March 2019 protests, who resigned on March 12th.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs: Ramtane Lamamra, since March 2019, when he returned to the cabinet in charge of the new post of deputy prime minister.
- Minister of Interior: Noureddine Bedoui, since 14 May 2015, until march 2019.
- Head(s) of Legislative Branch: Mouad Bouchareb, since december 2018, when he succeded in ejecting former parliament president, Said Bouhadja (Popular National Assembly) and Abdelkader Bensalah (Council of the Nation). On July 2nd, Bouchareb resigned from his post and leave vacant the presidency of the Popular National Assembly. Salah Goudjil, also from FLN, succeeded Bensalah as interim presient of the lower house on April 9th 2019.
- Composition of the Legislative branch: Link to graph
- Head of the Judiciary: Interim president, Bensalah (president of the High Council of Magistrates)
- Schematic representation of the political system: Link to pdf diagram
- President of the Republic
- Prime Minister's Office
- Ministry of Interior
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Parliament (lower house)
- el-Khabar: Leading Arabic-language newspaper
- el-Watan: Leading French-language newspaper
- Election law
- Constitutional Court
- APS: Official Press Agency
- Official Gazette: JORA
- HIISE: Haute Instance Indépendante de Surveillance des Élections (2016- )